Basic Outline of
Sacrament Formation for St. Mary’s School
The following is a brief explanation for baptized Catholics around the age of 7 years old seeking to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation, Confirmation or First Communion, or those baptized Catholics only lacking the Sacrament of Confirmation. Formation will be part of the class curriculum for students in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades. Second grade formation will focus on the Sacrament of Reconciliation and candidates will be given the opportunity to receive the sacrament in the spring. Candidates for First Communion and Confirmation will continue to receive formation and be given the opportunity to receive these important sacraments at the end of fourth grade. Candidates in later grades that are not part of this formation will be expected to attend formation that will be provided during school time.
- The parent/candidate must complete the Sacrament Petition Form and the Candidate Information Sheet. This form, along with the candidate’s Baptismal Certificate, must be submitted to the school office.
- Candidates will be provided Prayer books and occasional assignments to help with their sacrament formation. Parents are asked to work with their children and support them with their formation. Parents need to be the primary example and teacher for the candidates to truly appreciate these sacraments and their Catholic faith.
- Once candidates receive their First Reconciliation, they are encouraged to celebrate this important sacrament of forgiveness at least four times a year. They will be given the opportunity during the school year but parents are also encouraged to take them as a family.
- Candidates will be expected to spend some time in reflection and prayer to choose a saint relevant to their own lives and interests. The name of the saint will be the Confirmation name for the child. This will be discussed as part of their formation.
- Candidates will be assessed by parents, teachers, and the formation leaders of the school prior to receiving the sacraments.
For questions regarding this process or if you have a child (or other family member) who is interested in coming into the Catholic Church, contact us at 903-757-5893.